Friday, March 1, 2019

New Kindnesses and Old Prayers

Doctors and nurses and sonographers and technicians and administrators and chaplains and social workers have teamed up for Wylie, for us.  Everyone at the UK hospital was exceptionally kind and helpful at our appointment today.  We got to meet the members of the Pediatric Advanced Care team (Dr. Ragsdale, and the palliative chaplain, Rev. Kathryn Perry) as well as Dr. Playforth, the high-risk ob who will be taking care of us through Wylie's birth.  (Dr. Playforth learned about us through two sets of friends.  She passed along her number through those mutual friends and brought us under her wing).  They were all very attentive listeners and gave honest answers to the questions we had.  They encouraged us, too.

We got to see Wylie today in all her God-given glory!  She is so beautiful.  We love her so much.  From the past two appointments, the trisomy-18 possibility does seem to fit her growth and development.  She has gained weight, though, and the blood flow from her placenta looks healthy.  Those are great answers to prayers!

At our request, the health care professionals I mentioned helped paint a picture of what Wylie's first hours may be like in the hospital.  There are some hard possibilities.  She may be born prematurely.  She may not tolerate labor well.  Her brain may not communicate well with her lungs.  She may need a feeding tube, a ventilator, or an IV in her head.  We all acknowledge that there are absolutely so many unknowns.  Some aspects of Wylie's struggles could surface before birth, but her first 30 days after birth will be crucial and her first year, the most telling.  In any case, we have a group of skilled people who will employ all their knowledge, understanding and wisdom to help her.  I've been overcome with emotion and gratitude.

In addition, we have a personal, knowable God who loves us and is good to us.  I've considered the heartbreak of witnessing Gavin standing by watching his youngest daughter struggle and need machines to survive.  I feel the ache of desire to bring her home alive to her brothers and sisters. Today was a sobering day.

Gavin offered two crucial reminders as we drove home after our appointment:

1). God is up to something, we just can't see all the pieces.

2).  When a dark or scary picture of the future comes to mind, we can replay it with Jesus in view.  This changes everything.

Considering all of this, I thought of St. Patrick's prayer...

I arise today, through
God's strength to pilot me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From snares of devils,
From temptation of vices,
From everyone who shall wish me ill,
afar and near...


Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.


His prayers are my prayers, too.  Bless you for praying with us and for us.  We are forever grateful. Your faith on our behalf is so pleasing to God.

2 comments:

  1. And i see all this thru you and gav...so happy to be with you today........xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take with me the encouragement to replay dark or scary things with Jesus there--so so beautiful and right

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Post

Living and Dying at Once

It's all the things: grieving mothers, The Twilight, Francis Chan gripping the Bible, my friend planted like the Tree of Life beside the...

Top Posts