Thursday, January 31, 2019

A Strange Feast

Gavin and I had an amazing backpacking adventure before we had children.  We started in St. Andrews, so Gav could play the Old Course, we traversed through York, London, Paris, down the Rhine to Rothensburg, over to the Cinqua Terra, more south to Florence and Rome and ended our excursion in Venice.  It was absolutely wonderful.  My favorite was the Cinqua Terra, "The Five Lands," literally perched on the Mediterranean Sea. 

I remember a night we spent there on the shore amidst the open air restaurants and the Italian vacationers.  I had the best latte of my life, never to be repeated, I'm sure.  I was also so impressed by those dining.  They spent hours at the table.  Laughter, loud talking, the clink of the glasses and silverware was like music beside the sea.  The merry-makers continued even after we had finished our meal, had dessert and coffee and walked back to our flat.  We had witnessed true feasting!

As amazing as that night was, it fell short in this regard:  Though we took in the beauty of those feasting around us, we didn't sit down to join them.  We just watched.  It reminds me of a special time I had praying with a friend during which I saw a picture of my spiritual life. 

I could see myself on my knees beside a table, gazing at crumbs in my hand, trying to be content and grateful for them.  Jesus was in this picture, too.  He was seated at the table.  Though my ears didn't hear a sound, it was if Jesus said, "What are doing down there, friend?  Please, come sit beside me.  Here is your place right here at my table."  I can say that, in a spiritual sense, I keep trying to take Jesus up on His offer.

A meaningful verse to me in reference to this picture of feasting with Jesus is from the well-known Psalm 23:

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies."

What a strange thing to do!  When enemies are near, we eat?  We sit down and feast when there is a chance of harm and provocation? 

Well, here we are.  Enemies have drawn closer.  Our recent blood test result gave us information that was both shocking and heavy.  Wylie's DNA does not indicate that she has Trisomy-21 (Down Syndrome), but instead a different and more severe chromosomal abnormality, Trisomy-18 (Edward's Disease).  Her test was almost 90% positive. 

We have begun to process what this may mean for the future.  Here is what the percentages say:  of those pregnancies given a chance to continue (about 86% are terminated) only 50% of the babies are born.  Of those born, 90% will pass away before their first birthdays.  Because the 18th chromosome is physically bigger, babies with such a large amount of extra genetic material can struggle in every way. 

Right now, Wiley's body is growing and developing heathily in so many ways.  Our perinatologist and midwife are committed to caring for us and making sure we have additional doctors and surgeons who will contribute their expertise in helping her as best as people can do.  We will monitor her and make plans for her birth and the interventions she may need to have the fullest and best life possible.  These are the things we can do.

Our enemies (disease, doubt, anxiety, fear, control, death) encroach, but the gift of Wiley's life and God's promises shine ever brighter against the dark backdrop cast by these interlopers.  This is what comes after the first verse I shared:

"You anoint my head with oil;
     my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life
     and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

At the most unlikely time, with enemies surrounding us, we are invited to sit.  Indeed, our cups overflow in the sense that we are astounded by the miraculous gift Wylie is.  We have only experienced a hint.  We are also amazed by what God has done to make hope, faith, and love possible in whatever the future may hold.  We are certain, just as David was in writing this Psalm, that God has only goodness and mercy in mind for us--all of us.  Our cups, at His table, indeed overflow. 

 




34 comments:

  1. You are lovely as always, Karla. Praying always for you all. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful trust you have in our good Father! What a privileged little girl to be given into your hands. Thank you for sharing and letting us walk alongside you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind friend. We so appreciate you walking with us. Love to you and yours!

      Delete
  3. God bless you all. God will see you through whatever happens. You are a bright star showing God's love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Oh, we are counting on Him! I know we can! I so appreciate your encouragement:)

      Delete
  4. We have friends who walked a similar road, only there was no name for what plagued their Joshua. Prayers as you walk by faith in hope counting on His love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for the pain of Joshua’s suffering. I do appreciate your support and blessing!

      Delete
  5. The Walton's are praying for you all, especially baby Wiley. May our Lord give you peace and joy in these difficult times, and may he work a miracle in your sweet little girl's body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Walton! God is answering in these ways! We praise Him! We are also so grateful for your faith to pray for miracles. We know this is right to ask and hope!

      Delete
  6. Since seeing you and Gavin at the hospital I have been praying extra hard for you all and your family. I will continue and think of you guys often!! Christy Savia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Christy! I know you have so much understanding. We are so grateful for you and your prayers:)

      Delete
  7. OH Karla. I just read your most recent post. My heart is hurting. I'm so sorry for this recent discovery. Praying for you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristen. I'm so blessed by you. All of the investments of love and truth over the years of getting to know God, including the ones you made in person and through the testimony of your life, culminate in the ability to trust God now even with the heaviness of this new information. I love you!

      Delete
  8. Karla - I know that Wylie will be well-loved by all of your family for whatever lifespan she is given. She will change all of you forever. Know that you are not alone in your trisomy journey. Will be praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Companionship in the journey is so much. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. Praying Jesus' prayer from Luke 22:42 for your family today ~ "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a confirmation. This verse was shared on Sunday during our church family gathering as an encouragement in how to pray.

      Delete
  10. Karla and Gavin - Praying for you and your sweet family - especially for Wylie - and all she is and will be. The older I get - the more I journey with the Lord - my heart yearns and becomes ever more focused on the purpose of all of this - God's glory. May every day through this journey point to Him - His Glory, His fame, His goodness, His provision, His healing and His Life - the wonder of His Life that pulses through her little body - as He creates her and forms her. Your writings are wonderful - thank you for sharing and being so gracious to take us all along. I offer up Praise and Thanks to the God who sustains, endures and never forsakes - our very present Help in time of need. Love you - my prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!.. AUTHOR OF A COURSE IN MIRACLES

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have performed a great job on this article. It’s very precise and highly qualitative. You have even managed to make it readable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you so much. A COURSE IN MIRACLES AUTHOR

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. course in miracles bookstore

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... a course in miracles teacher

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing. um curso em milagres

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... acim author

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about it. I really like that. Thanks so lot for your convene. authors acim

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work. a course in miracles

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. authors a course in miracles

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. authors a course in miracles

    ReplyDelete
  21. I finally found great post here.I will get back here. I just added your blog to my bookmark sites. thanks.Quality posts is the crucial to invite the visitors to visit the web page, that's what this web page is providing. a course in miracles author

    ReplyDelete
  22. What is an outstanding post! “I’ll be back” (to read more of your content). Thanks for the nudge! a course in miracles authors

    ReplyDelete
  23. I finally found great post here.I will get back here. I just added your blog to my bookmark sites. thanks.Quality posts is the crucial to invite the visitors to visit the web page, that's what this web page is providing. un cours en miracles

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Post

Living and Dying at Once

It's all the things: grieving mothers, The Twilight, Francis Chan gripping the Bible, my friend planted like the Tree of Life beside the...

Top Posts