Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Receiving Wylie

Celebration is the acceptance of life in a constantly increasing awareness of its preciousness. And life is precious not only because it can be seen, touched, and tasted, but also because it will be gone one day. When we celebrate a wedding, we celebrate a union as well as a departure; when we celebrate death we celebrate lost friendship as well as gained liberty. There can be tears after weddings and smiles after funerals. We can indeed make our sorrows, just as much as our joys, a part of our celebration of life in the deep reality that life and death are not opponents but do, in fact, kiss each other at every moment of our existence. --Henri Nouwen

I have never received a gift of which I am more afraid.  Wylie was not born into my arms.  She was born into the hands of doctors who pulled her from my body and onto tiny beds with machines as Gavin and I held our hands together without knowing if she was coming or going.  I could always imagine good-bye more easily.  Yet, Gavin held her body and announced, "She is breathing, Kar.  She is breathing."  I reeled.

A few long hours later, on May 8th, she was placed into my arms.  I did not know how to hold her.  She had tubes and cords and leads springing from her.  In my disbelief, I cradled my daughter gently.  All the while this constant prayer flowed silently from my heart, "How, Lord?  How do I hold her?"

Instructions have come--daily ones.  "Ascribe to the LORD glory and strength," "Sing to the LORD a new song for He has done marvelous things," "Worship the LORD with gladness," "Remember the miracles He has done."  Each moment I have one thing I know to do directly from the Psalm I read as my bread.  With her tiny body and amazing overcoming, Wylie has brought a deep sense of the present.  I do not dare leave it.

Also, there are hands, so many hands!  Family, friends, nurses, technicians, doctors, social workers, dieticians, volunteers, clerks, neighbors, so many people hold us.  We would fall--Gavin, Wylie, our other children, me.  We would crumble if it wasn't for the grip of people who carry our burdens and meet our needs.

I am learning to hold Wylie.  I hold her to comfort her, to feed her, to burp her, to carry her.  What joy!  She is a wonder to behold!  Though she is less than five pounds, I tremble beneath her weight.  This small person is carrying the glory of God--His image--into our world.  She is like the break of day.  Her small light dawning changes my whole sky.

Welcome, Wylie.  Our good God has brought you as a perfect gift.  May you always know His closeness and love as you stand strong in the work He has for you.  We are so proud of you--in awe, really.  You are truly miraculous.

---
For progress updates check out Wylie's Warriors on Lotsa Helping Hands: 
https://my.lotsahelpinghands.com/community/wylies-warriors/home
---

Today Wylie is 4 Weeks Old! 

















10 comments:

  1. Never have I been more amazed....how can one tiny little baby fill my heart with love, hope, faith and promise. I am hooked on Wylie's special gifts. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! I'm so grateful for your persevering faith that kept trusting. You are great examples to us of believers in life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious miracle! We are celebrating with you and praying for sweet Wylie, and all of the Duerson family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wylie is a gift and God chose you to partake in the miracle!

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Post

Living and Dying at Once

It's all the things: grieving mothers, The Twilight, Francis Chan gripping the Bible, my friend planted like the Tree of Life beside the...

Top Posts