Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Time to Think



Thinking. We say, "Give me a minute to think about it," and "What was I thinking?!" As I have aged, I have noticed that thinking takes longer than a minute and I ask the second question much more frequently than ever before. I cannot multitask at all, and at times, single-tasking is quite the challenge!

That is why I am so thankful for God's wisdom, which my friend Rich pointed out to me once, is always practical. As you can imagine, learning to live our new normal with Wylie is new and not normal, so I have noticed my ineptitude and weakness everywhere! Do not pity or try to reassure me about this, though. All that I am NOT has paved the way to dependence, trust, and reliance on God who IS a worthy Support.

I have asked Him about Wylie's schedule. I have asked Him about homeschooling Neva. I have asked him about going to Bible study. I have asked him about my college and college-bound children. His answers have surprised me almost every time. 

We deferred school services for Wylie this year since she already has five therapy sessions a week and is homeschooling with me. For Neva, rather than sending her to a cottage school we thought would be perfect, He provided a saintly fellow homeschool mom who has invited Neva into their home two days each week. To a Bible study outside the home I have done for years, He said no. For my older children, He has given me the grace to be present and to pray. All these answers, though, have culminated in one over-arching way--having more time to think.

There are many quiet moments. I am not rushing or hurrying. I can consider, ponder, and wonder. This is a pleasure to me. I am thankful to God for this gift--an answer to a promise Jesus makes in an invitation I hope you have heard. If not, let me share it here:  "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

At our recent Simple Church retreat, we considered how being the church is really about following Jesus which is ultimately a way of life. One aspect we concentrated on the most was pace. We watched a short documentary called, "Godspeed." N.T. Wright is featured and he posited, "Sometimes we have to slow down to catch up to God." 

God's answers have slowed me and given me time to think and to pray. You can come to Him and ask, too. His invitation is for everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Post

Living and Dying at Once

It's all the things: grieving mothers, The Twilight, Francis Chan gripping the Bible, my friend planted like the Tree of Life beside the...

Top Posts