Thursday, March 28, 2019

Sky and Soul


When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
    the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
    and the son of man that you care for him?

David posed this question in Psalm 8 and I ask it, too.  I took a walk this week, not under the darkened sky, but in the light of day.  I had been feeling a little overwhelmed inside, so I went outside where it's vast and broad and where I feel smaller.  Certainly, under the sky, I feel smaller and my feelings seem smaller.  There is so much air!  I can breathe all I want with extra to breathe more.

It's one thing to know that the sky is so big.  It's another thing to go outside, look up into it, and feel its bigness.  The roof of my house sometimes shields the effect that openness can have on my soul.  God's roof reminds me that I am small, but that I am also dear to Him, not so small to be unknown.  How can it be?

I can say that I know something about His love.  I know that He drives fear away from me.  He encourages me daily to trust and rest.  He gives me the grace to enjoy pregnancy with Wylie.  He offers wisdom and guidance about our plans as a family even when there are so many unknowns.  

He is mindful of us--of all of us.  Go outside and know.



4 comments:

Most Recent Post

Living and Dying at Once

It's all the things: grieving mothers, The Twilight, Francis Chan gripping the Bible, my friend planted like the Tree of Life beside the...

Top Posts